DHL was founded by Adrian Dalsey, Larry Hillblom and Robert Lynn during 1969 in San Francisco. In 1972 it expanded its services to Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia. The company’s first UK office was opened in London in 1974.
In 1983, DHL became the first air express forwarder to serve Eastern European countries and an international distribution center was opened in Cincinnati, USA. It entered into a joint venture with the People’s Republic of China and became the first express firm active in China in 1986. In the year 1990 the company made strategic alliances with Lufthansa, Japan Airlines and Nissho Iwai, thus DHL became the first global express company to restart service to Kuwait after the Gulf War in 1991. The DHL Innovation Center was opened near Bonn in 2007.
DHL warehouse jobs:
Let’s look at some of the job opportunities available in DHL warehouse
Operation manager – warehouse:
Any graduate/post – graduate can apply for this post. Logistics, operations are some of the specializations required for this position. The following are the job responsibilities.
- Build an efficient service within the functional department
- Develop KPIs with the teammates
- Observe employees personal performances
- Conduct performance appraisals
- Allot the resources required by the subordinates for the achievement of their goals
- Identify the qualities to be improved in the department for developing a versatile environment
Warehouse shift manager:
The main responsibility of a warehouse shift manager is to manage, supervise and perform all the work related with warehousing. The job responsibilities are
- Supervise warehouse operations like picking/packing, receiving, storage and distribution activities
- Offer support to the clients when logistics problems appear
- Organize transportation of consumer materials.
- Coordinate with trades, regional management and service centers concerning development and retaining of customer base
- Organize and implement steps to improve the service quality
- Employ, coach and supervise the subordinates
- Assign tasks, set deadlines, review and manage the work according to the company’s policies and management processes
- May require supervising one or more warehouses
- And warehouse shift manager is also accountable for the KPI of the product
The DHL offers the following benefits to its staffs
- Pension plans
- Health insurance
- Family friendly benefits
- Cars for business related travels
- 25 days of annual leave for all employees
- Life insurance, personal accident cover, sick pay
- Bonuses, retail discount and so on.
How to apply for a job in DHL:
To apply for a job in DHL, simply log on to the following link http://www.dhl.com/en/careers.html with the username and password. Then select the required job position at the preferred location and finally click on apply. First time users must create a new username and password before applying
The warehouse manager earns about $50k per month; the operation supervisor is paid in-between $25k – $30k per month.
The employees working in DHL are pretty satisfied with the company with 70% of them willing to recommend this company to their friends and 87% Approve of the CEO, Dr. Frank Appel. Many staffs’ suggest that working in this company is very productive and fun-filled.
Some of the employees have mentioned their dissatisfaction towards the supervisors, the short breaks and the downsizing of the company.